Modal Verb: Can-Could

Can or could (past form) is the one of the other common modals that have many function which are its used to the ability or possibility, formal or informal polite request, suggestion, degree of certainty and impossibility.
The Structure
Subject + can/could + main verb
The main verb is always the bare infinitive (infinitive without "to").
(+) S + can/could + main verb
(-) S + can’t or cannot/couldn’t + main verb
(?) Can/could + S + main verb
The uses of can/could :
1. Ability and possibility
- I can beat you
- You can do whatever you want
- You can be like a doctor
- You cannot do this to me
- Can you repeat in this section?
Normally, we use can for the present. But it is possible to use can when we make present decisions about future ability.
E.g : Can you help me for a while? (present)
I’m sorry, I have to go. But I can help you next day. (future)
Then could used when we talk about the possibility that occur in the past.
E.g : I couldn’t read when I was 2 years old.
My mom could make a great dance when she’s young.
We use could (positive) and couldn't (negative) for general ability in the past. But when we talk about one special occasion in the past, we use be able to (positive) and couldn't (negative). Look at these examples:
General :
My son could speak 2 languages
My son couldn’t speak 2 languages
Specific occasion :
A kid fell into the hole last night. Rudy was able to save him.
A kid fell into the hole last night. Rudy couldn’t save him.
In other source could also to express possibility or ability in contingent circumstances:
If he studied harder, he could pass this course
2. Request and order
Can/could, can be used in form of to ask somebody to do something, but we don’t really want to know that the person will able to do something, but we want them to do that. This used in informal situation (can such as in the family or close friends only), but when we talk about could it used in polite request (formal).
E.g : Can you turn the radio on!
Can I ride your motorcycle?
Could you tell me where the police station is?
Could you bring some paper, please?
3. Permission
Also can, can be used in form of to ask or to give permission to somebody.
E.g : Can I use this pen?
I’m sorry but you can’t use that pen, but you can use this red pen.

Comments

  1. Daftar Pustaka:

    Schrampfer azar, Betty, Understanding and Using English Grammar, longman; 1998.
    http://learningenglish.com
    http://englishclub.com
    http://ccc.commnet.edu
    Chalker, Sylvia and Weiner, Edmund, Oxford Dictionary Of English Grammar, oxford university press; 1994
    Riley, Kathryn and Parker, Frank, English Grammar (Prescriptive, Descriptive, Generative, Performance), Allyn bacon; 1998.
    Greenbaun, Sydney and Quirk, Randolph, A Student’s Grammar Of The English Language, longman; 1990.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts