Others Modal Verb

HAD BETTER
The structure :
(+) S + had better + main verb
(-) S + had better + not + main verb
The function :
1. Express advisability
In meaning had better is close to should/ought to, but had better is usually stronger. Often had better implies a warning or a threat of possible bad consequences
- The engine was blow. We’d better take it to the engineer.
- You’d better take care of your health.
HAVE TO or HAVE GOT TO
The function :
1. Expressing necessity
In everyday statement, have to is used more commonly that must. Must is usually stronger than have to and can indicate urgency or stress importance. Have to is used in both formal and informal English.
- May I speak to Mrs. Linda? I’m Joe and I have to talk with her.
- I have to leave now
Have got to also expressing the idea of necessity, but it used as informal English.
- I have got to go now.
- I have got to search my ring now.
2. Lack of necessity
- Anton is my brother, but I don’t have to listen to him because he’s very bad.
- I’ve already eat, so I don’t have to eat in lunch time
So it means it is not necessity for me to listen my brother because he’s a bad brother or it’s not necessity for me to eat in the lunch time because I’ve already eat.
BE SUPPOSED TO
The function :
1. Expressing an expectation
Be supposed to expresses the idea that someone expects something to happen. Be supposed to expresses expectation about event, behaviour and unfulfilled expectation.
- The match is supposed to start at 12.00 (expect event)
- I am supposed to go to my private dentist. He told me to come earlier today. (Expect behaviour)
- Oktavianus was supposed to meet me yesterday. But I don’t know why he didn’t. (expect unfulfilled expectation)
USED TO
The function :
1. Express a repeated action
Used to expresses a habitual situation that existed in the past
- I used to live in Jakarta
- Rudy used to drive a Jaguar
- Sebastian used to drink coca cola
2. Past situation that no longer exist
- I used to eat noodle everyday, but now I didn’t.
OUGHT TO
The function :
1. Advisability
Ought to have a same meaning with should, they express a strong from a suggestion, and it’s only use in positive form.
- You ought to obey your parents
- The students ought to obey the rule
2. Degree of certainty
Ought to also express a degree of certainty that in strong with 90% sure in past and future time
- I ought to do best for my first race
- I ought to have done for my first race (past)
BE ABLE TO
The function :
1. Express the ability
- I am able to beat you
- I was able to beat you
- I will be able to beat you
BE GOING TO
The function :
1. Degree of certainty
Be going to is the strong form to express certainty that means it will be happen,
- He is going to be stronger in the next Sunday.
2. Definite plan (intention)
- I’m going to study tonight
- I was going to study last night, but I got sleepy.
Be going to also express unfulfilled intention.

Comments

  1. Daftar pustaka

    Schrampfer azar, Betty, Understanding and Using English Grammar, longman; 1998.
    http://learningenglish.com
    http://englishclub.com
    http://ccc.commnet.edu
    Chalker, Sylvia and Weiner, Edmund, Oxford Dictionary Of English Grammar, oxford university press; 1994
    Riley, Kathryn and Parker, Frank, English Grammar (Prescriptive, Descriptive, Generative, Performance), Allyn bacon; 1998.
    Greenbaun, Sydney and Quirk, Randolph, A Student’s Grammar Of The English Language, longman; 1990.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts