Modal Verb: Will-Would

Same as the other modal will or would have many functions such as: degree of certainty, willingness, polite request, preference, repeated the act in the past.
The structure :
(+) S + will/would + main verb
(-) S + will not/wouldn’t + main verb
(?) Will/would + S + main verb
The function :
1. Willingness
Will/would, can be used to express willingness:
• I'll wash the car if you dry.
• We're going to the shopping. Will you join us?
• Would you please to take that garbage?
2. Polite request
Will and would, can be used to express a polite request.
- Will you close my car window (please)?
- Would you close my window (please)?
- Would you mind if I closed my car window?
- Would you mind closing my car window?
Notice : would you mind is followed by simple past that it used to asking a permission, but if it followed by –ing (a gerund) it used to asking someone to do something.
3. Express an intention or prediction (will)
- I’ll do my best later on
- specific: The meeting will be over soon. (prediction)
- timeless: Humidity will ruin my hairdo. (prediction)
- habitual: The river will overflow its banks every spring (prediction)
4. Preference
- I would rather teach biology than math
- The party was amazing, but I would rather have gone to party last night
- I’d rather be choosing biology than math right now.
Notice : If the verb is the same, it usually used than. The past form: would rather + past participle, and progressive form: would rather + be + ing.
5. Repeated action in the past
Would can be used to express an action that was repeated regularly in the past. When could is used to express idea, it has same meaning as used to.
- When I was young, my mom would cook my favourite foods.
- When I was young, my mom used to cook my favourite foods.
6. Degree of certainty
Will can be used to express the degree of certainty (future) with 100% sure.
- Rudy will pay his bill to me.
- Jane will come to my home tonight.

Comments

  1. Daftar pustaka:
    Schrampfer azar, Betty, Understanding and Using English Grammar, longman; 1998.
    http://learningenglish.com
    http://englishclub.com
    http://ccc.commnet.edu
    Chalker, Sylvia and Weiner, Edmund, Oxford Dictionary Of English Grammar, oxford university press; 1994
    Riley, Kathryn and Parker, Frank, English Grammar (Prescriptive, Descriptive, Generative, Performance), Allyn bacon; 1998.
    Greenbaun, Sydney and Quirk, Randolph, A Student’s Grammar Of The English Language, longman; 1990.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts